1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)

Guns with History

I've been a lifelong shooter and owned guns since I legally could. Totally for gun reform. I think Australia's firearms act in '96 after the Port Aurthur massacre was for the most part perfectly balanced. Essentially, all firearms must be registered to the owner, and the ban on all semi-automatic rifles and all semi-automatic and pump-action shotguns for the average sporting shooter or hunter. 

The main focus was the registration though. Anyone with a criminal conviction, history of mental illness, etc were essentially barred from purchasing or owning a firearm. With the additional caveat of frequent police checks (particularly for first time owners) to assess how and where the rifles will/are to be stored. 

Granted I miss the fun of semi-automatic rifles, and whenever I'm in the states I'll generally try to pop into a range and have a play. Though to be perfectly honest, it's f*cking bonkers over there. All you need to do is sign a piece of paper which essentially says: "Are you suicidal, or have suicidal tendencies?" - No? Great here take all these rifles and handguns and have fun for the next hour or as long as you have ammunition.  

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
I think some of you are missing the point. The history is not meant to discourage the use of that particular weapon, it's meant to discourage the use of weapons in general (due to the potential dangers they hold).

Knowing the history of a weapon might bring home the reality of domestic weapon ownership (i.e. they don't always make you safer) - at least, that's the point they're trying to make (not saying I agree or disagree with it).

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:59 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Agree to an extent Null - you don't blame the hammer, you blame the idiot user. Though to argue that - why make it easier for the idiot and give him a sledge hammer. 

There's no real practical use for a semi-automatic/automatic for the everyday sporting shooter or hunter (bar self defense or overthrowing your government lol). I wish I could still own and use one - but in all reality, I'd probably rarely use it for hunting. 

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:25 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (2)
"You can't disarm me from the most powerful weapon of the world; human mind."

Here ya go. You can quote me now.

The most annoyng thing about ARMA franchise isin't the bugs; The the worst thing is: You don't have better option.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:58 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
I don't buy the whole "home defense" gun thing. Your average person wouldn't feel much safer at home with a big old broadsword since they probably don't have a clue how to use it. They'd probably be more afraid to hurt themselves with it! However people with no gun experience at all buy guns, put them in their home and then feel safer? I love the idea of recreational shooting but the whole home-defense thing just seems weird. Even people that shoot a lot recreationally don't seem to perform any better in home-defense situations so why bother? 

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:54 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Because 'Merica, and the Second Amendment! FREEDOM!!

Or something like that.

+ New Topic + Post Reply