3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

CAS/MEDEVACs and The Role of the JTAC/FAC

27 posts in this topic
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:52 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
As far as I know, Raptor is working on a system that is not overcomplicated and that is based on ArmA 3 and not the real life. So I guess we can see a system in the future that is easy to understand and use for pilots a fac etc.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
RaptorInMotion wrote:
The only concern I have right now is that I dont think anyone most people can even be bothered to learn something new and do things a bit differently other than, as you said, "shoot this thing on the tank marker i just made".

The 9-line is more than likely too much. A more condensed version is being worked on so it may be a 5-line in the end.

However with that said, there are still map markers available to plonk down willy nilly so theres no incentive to do it this new way.

This is how it will and should be and this needs to be considered. A guy who can do a perfect 9Line is no good if the pilot has no idea what he is talking about and since we are playing a game I think the pilot is not doing something wrong in that case. However I am glad that people who would like to use a system like this are working on this. :)

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:09 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
@Dan - Don't worry Dan, we won't be taking things to extreme lengths. Our mindset from the start has always been to use methods that are practical and are appropriate for use within Arma without carrying over lots of military 'fluff'.

As we start to bring in our training sessions, roles such as these (FAC) will become second nature for most. Those that "can't be bothered" to learn how to properly do CAS/FAC will be noticed, and won't be able to take these roles in private ops. That's not to say that you can't take a certain role in an op because you're not 'trained' in it, but if we notice that you're not doing it very well then we'll ask you to take a rifleman slot instead.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:16 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Target Elevation can in some cases be pretty important, but I think that in most cases it is not  important information in the game you need to call in CAS or /MEDEVAC etc.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:02 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
We were talking about a small session that some of us did where we tried out some 9line stuff and alternatives like a talk-on.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:03 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Nice work Raptor. I'm looking forward to the training and using this in practise.

RaptorInMotion wrote:
FAC: "BUILDING 1-0-0 at 2-9-0, RED SMOKE"

Where ever possible, Red smoke should denote enemy positions. Putting red smoke on friendly positions is likely to lead to blue-on-blue.

White smoke for concealment.

Some other colour (like green) to mark friendly positions please.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:17 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
What I mean is:

Group A (3CB) puts down red smoke to mark their position to CAS A-10.
Group B on the next hill top (from 42 Cdo, obviously), opens up on red smoke killing everyone in Group A.
A10 opens up on Group B killing them all. Good.
A10 gets shot down on way home by giggling AI with manpad.
Everyone dead. Everyone. 
All because of one smoke grenade.

...change your example, you're a role model now... ;-)

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Well I think what we just tried on the dev 2 looks promising.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:53 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
After having lots of time testing with 9-lines on both Devs I can say that they definitely work well.  It gives both FAC's, pilots and WSO's (weapon systems operator's) the information that they need in a good standardised format.  Well done Raptor and I can't wait for this to be set up in a training session.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Andy1 wrote:
After having lots of time testing with 9-lines on both Devs I can say that they definitely work well.  It gives both FAC's, pilots and WSO's (weapon systems operator's) the information that they need in a good standardised format.  Well done Raptor and I can't wait for this to be set up in a training session.

This! :)

I had some pretty good fun testing out the concept today and I have to say, I do love the idea that we are doing this with a F-18 with a pilot and a gunner, or in a heli with a co-pilot or a gunner. This does add some nice dynamics between the pilot and the co-pilot/gunner and makes CAS and acting as a heli much easier.

+ New Topic + Post Reply