3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

ACE Medical Explained

54 posts in this topic
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:23 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
That's awesome info! Thanks for taking the time to dig into the 'new' patch :) 

I assume revivestate is only entered when you're actually running the revive module? Does Revivestate kick in before 'death'  would kick in when no revive model is used? 

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:09 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Leadership (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (3)
Alexander wrote:
I assume revivestate is only entered when you're actually running the revive module? Does Revivestate kick in before 'death'  would kick in when no revive model is used? 

Yes. If revive module is not used you just die.

P.S. Forgot to mention that for some reason  blood pressure in sidechat stops showing correct data after it drops below 39/26.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:25 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (1)
Apparently the vanilla damage bug has been fixed in the main branch and will be updated next release.

Slightly odd, talks to pixels.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:35 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
DangerousDiz wrote:
Apparently the vanilla damage bug has been fixed in the main branch and will be updated next release.
FINALLY. Looking foward to that next release.
Slightly off-topic: Next vanilla arma3 update will finally fix the AI's ability to see you behind tree trunks! 

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:21 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Regular (1)
its happening :)

https://github.com/acemod/ACE3/releases

new ACE3 version is out, lets see if it is fixed

cheers moeses

gWotD: Feierlichkeiten

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 am     Super secret spam barrier

Melonfish wrote:
Alexander wrote:
DangerousDiz wrote:
FINALLY. Looking foward to that next release.
Slightly off-topic: Next vanilla arma3 update will finally fix the AI's ability to see you behind tree trunks! 
Wow really? took them long enough, I guess that vid posted recently showing it in action proved it once and for all though.
perhaps people will stop whining about mannerheim line now? :D

On mannerheim its not the trunks, more the poorly modelled leaves

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:00 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Some people were criticising ACE3 Medical yesterday and I have to say a lot of it was absurd.

Please remember the following things.

We have insta-death turned off.
So a lot of things that would normally kill you instantly, are not going to kill you even it logically should. That includes close or direct hits by a HE shell from a mortar, or being in a heli that is hitting the ground with 200mph and going up in flames. Logic tells you that you will not survive this. Our current settings keep that from happening. You can think of that what you want but it should not suprise you that after somebody that is "unconcious" after a direct mortar hit is more or less in a very bad shape.

If you want to criticise ACE3, you could say that ACE3 should try to handle the damage differently, and not give somebody 1800 wounds if he survived a fatal helicopter crash because we have turned a setting of it off. But I personally feel that a better solution would to experiment with how strict insta-death in ACE3 is. I have no problem if it is reasonable.

Some personal criticism about ACE3 medical is that the PAK can only be used now if somebody is not actively bleeding anymore. This is a bit annoying but the priority should always to stop the bleeding first. Depending on your wounds, it takes longer to use the PAK on a player and in the past I have seen some people dying because they were bleeding out while a medic was trying to use the PAK on them.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:46 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
Mefirst (+1) and Bedoomed (+1).  Two logical and reasoned arguments.

Personally I feel the problem (and we have one, given the amount of grumbling) is player expectation and player education.  

Its unlikely that we will ever find a medical system that suits all players from the perspective of their enjoyment of an operation.  We found AGM that the majority seemed content to use, but we're now in a state of limbo.  ACE medical, at least with our current settings, has a much greater impact on game play than our original AGM settings.  Some people like it and others do not.  Given we're now a couple of months into using it, it's probably time for a review, just to gauge whether we have it right.

The other point is player education.  One of the criticisms of ACE is that its a continually moving target (that is positive, as its actively being developed), it means that in one op the medical system behaves in one way, and in your next op its completely different.  Bedoom's triage seems eminently sensible, but only if you're expecting the medical system to work that way.  It was new to many that the PAKs required the patient to be stable (a recent change), and stability was impossible without 1000's of bandages.  

In the short term perhaps a note in the mission briefing, on the current state of medical system.  ie what has changed in the last two weeks and what medics can expect.  In some respects this is more important than the great mission briefs we are currently receiving.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:09 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I think Alexander (?) has looked deeply into the code of ACE3 medical. Maybe he knows how insta-death actually works.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:06 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Mefirst wrote:
I think Alexander (?) has looked deeply into the code of ACE3 medical. Maybe he knows how insta-death actually works.
I haven't made the deep dive since the 3.1.0 update came out so I'm a fair bit out-of-date.  Afaik @ace3 doesn't actually have a "prevent insta-death" setting for the medical system. Instead we're using their "Revive" module (which does prevent insta-death) together with the medical modules. The result is a weird mix of two slightly different systems that, as lifetap said, is also changing with every version.

If we were to stop using the revive module the 'kill' criteria would be similar to vanilla (take >= 100% damage to any bodypart, or >=80% (iirc) to the head). It's maybe a tiny bit more forgiving because some vanilla damage sources are 'dialled down' a bit (vehicle stuff, fires, etc) but the last time we played with it it was very much a  thing were a single PKM round to the head could kill you (which is obviously very realistic. But also somewhat bad for the speed of gameplay xD)

What might be possible is to attach another event-handler to the XEH damage event that @ace3 is using and check if a player already has X wounds. If the number is too high -> KIA him. That way we could make sure that people that get direct-hit by IEDs/Mortars and would require hundreds of bandages are killed, rather than left in a weird technically-alive-but-destined-to-die state.

+ New Topic + Post Reply