3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

New rig CPU/ GPU advice please

16 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
You could probably budget for a GTX 970 since the 1060/1070/1080 have come into play they are going cheap now. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121941251301? ... rmvSB=true

Only problem going with the older gfx card is even 4GB memory isn't going to future proof your pc against more demanding titles that release in the coming years. GTA V can take up that 4GB usage on max advanced settings. On my latest stream test I did my game settings on GTA were showing 4059MB vram usage and that isn't counting the stream. If you prefer older games then sure it will play fine.

I'd go for i7 especially if you want to stream in good quality. 8GB ram is fine imo but if you can afford another 8GB later on then go for 16GB.

I use the evo 212 cooler and it gives great temps. Idle around 28-30*c and rarely see it go above 70*c. I used to have all-in-one watercooling but it sucks imo.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Robbie wrote:
You'll need more than 8 GB of ram for what you do, Fact.

No?

It would decrease the rendering time, but the rendering time doesn't bother me and so it is not a Issue. If you want "quick" rendering you would need to invest a lot of money on a lot of RAM. 32GB Ram is where you would start here. A guy I know is practically making his living rendering stuff and another one is a actual camera technician and cutter. Does it make a difference to me if I need "just" 3 times the amount of the video length 4 times? Not when I am sleeping or I am not at home.

Otherwise I am asking quite a lot of people (not just here) for input.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:42 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
After talking to some other guys and investigating the current hardware, I will try to get a Intel Core i7-3770 - 3,4 GHz Quad-Core CPU 1155 (8M Cache, max. 3.90 GHz Turbo) this month and a GTX 970 in the next month (unless some money comes my way).

If I am lucky I am able to snipe a good i7 on eBay today. Found a auction with one that has still one year of official product warranty left.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Sniped the i7 for 110€ (shipping included) and that's pretty cheap here. When it comes to the GPU I am now thinking of getting a 780Ti, its cheaper and shows the same or even better results in most benchmarks. But the GPU comes in november anyway.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
I dont think VR will be good (if at all) until 3-5 years.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:26 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
1070 is worth saving for. In terms of benchmarks you will save money in the long run not having to upgrade as fast. I was going to go for the 1060 but seeing the performance of the 1070 was a no brainer. If you can afford it then I would go for that as well. Doesn't matter if you use 1080 or 1440 it will handle both res. It is a good card for streaming as well with higher fps in game while the cpu handles the backend. I got my EVGA 1070 SC for £377.

+ New Topic + Post Reply