1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)

Arma 3 frame rate boost

Nice post !!!

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:07 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (2)
The shadow quality settings has to to with cpu vs gpu. If you choose standard+ the gpu handles it, anything lower and its the cpu. So choose accordingly if you have/need to.

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:19 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Quoted from my other post:

Goodson wrote:
Shadows high & above = Off-load shadow processing to GPU = Better frames if your GPU > CPU
Shadows standard & below = Off-load shadow processing to CPU = Better frames if your CPU > GPU

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:29 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (2)
Guess i got the breaking point mixed up, glad that got cleared up. I havent read that much into it but do you know if that applies to any other options as well? 

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:16 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Frag of the match (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
As some of you may know I have been having difficulty withmy frame rates often times averaging 19-20fps and down to 6fps when landing a
heli, which when trying to fly a heli was a bit awkward.  For about a week I tried all sorts ofsettings both ingame and GPU settings but was not getting very far.  It was frustrating as playing single player Iwas getting 60fps. My rig is an i7 5820, twin Nvidia 980ti in sli, with 16mb ofram and the cpu overclocked to 4.4ghz. Thanks to advice I got from a number of guys and particularly MyCatSaidwho went through each of my game and cpu settings.  I now have an fps of between 35 to 50fps whichhas changed my game dramatically and I am very grateful to all for their
patience and knowledge.  Reallyhighlights the spirit of the community.With my new found knowledge I was also able to help a newishplayer improve his frames as well a couple of days ago.  To those who are having difficulty the post by Viney18-12-14 “Arma 3 frame rate post “is helpful and I add here my own experience
but obviously only related to Nvidia  Monitor Resolution – This was probably the main reason myfps was rubbish.  I have three monitorsone 32” and 2x 18” and was running Win 10 with additional virtual desk
tops.  This was probably too heavy whenrunning Arma 3 and after advice from MyCatSaid I reduced the resolution from
3840 x 2160 to 1920 x 1080 and got quite a big boost immediately. Am now
averaging about 40+fps which makes a big difference when flying.I could use this as an excuse for the two transport withtroops crashes I had and one blue on blue incident which I regret – but no -  those were inexperience and pilot error and bloodytrees!!!!The other tweaks I found which can play a big role in fpsare:-
General

Vsync – This must be off in game and in control settings(nvidia) – also be aware for some reason nvidia control settings can switch it
back on as I found to my cost could not ascertain the reason.Sampling – keep at 100%Shadow – Keeep low to HighClouds – Keep lowishShadow – Keep lowish PIP – Keep lowish – when flying I set to disabled.Visibility

This you need to experiment.  I have it at around 2200 and objects 1300 to1600 – Note for some reason it seems to change almost every time I look at it,
but this may be due to some synchronisation when changing other settings. Am
not sure whyAlso check the in-game visibility settings are not too highas well.
Lighting

HDR – Keep standard if its turned down the graphics lookhorrible.Dynamic lights – StandardWater Reflections – I keep disabled.Antialiasing

FSAA – 8x though I am still tweaking this.ATOC – DisabledPPAA – disabledAniso. Filtering – Ultra GPU -  Nvidiacontrol settings

Standard Global settings but make sure Vsync is off.I have overclocked mine to 1502Mhz which seems to help. Arma 3 – Set to Priority

Go to Task Manager highlight arma3.exe and go to Detailsand set priority to High – This does help with fps. This mainly relates to flying choppers but may help on theground also – thinking of Tanoa and the fps demands – It is best to focus on
the main ones VSYNC, VISIBILITY, SHADOWS AND LIGHTING and tweak to see what is
best for each system.  Also beware of YouTube videos and claims of 60 fps with all
settings on Ultra - I believe the mods we load also make a big difference when
playing multiplayer and the settings have to come down. Whilst I can put a computer together I am not a technophobe
as can be seen from this litany, but hope my recent  experience and trial and error approach canhelp someone with similar problems. Cheers and thanks guys– time for a beer!!!Ney88 p.s. I will keep tweaking and if I get anything significantwill update here. 

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:22 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Regarding PIP, you need that to see the MFD particularly in the Merlin as it gives you cameras on the dash.

I have them at ultra and generally run at 40-50 frames on a i5 4790k (4.4ghz) and 7970

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:06 am     Super secret spam barrier

Typo there. 4690k.

I'll be swapping it for an i7 soon to bring render times down.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:20 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Could I ask what resolution you guys use - Thanks

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:39 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
I use 1 screen at 1080p. But I do super sample up to 200% (equivalent 4K)

I get good frames. But primarily because I adjust total view distance to a sensible distance for infantry I.e 1500m total view distance and 1200m object view.

It's object view that has THE single greatest impact on frames. So as long as you are sensible with that distance you should be able to bump everything else up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:37 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Just like to thank you guys again particularly Serjames who had a chat with me on TS last week.  As a result of the tips he gave mainly to check the BIOS and the setting for XMP I got an immediate improvement as mine was set to manual.  Since than I have also noticed that now and again Vsync swiches back on and I have to switch it off manually in the Nvidia control panel which is a pain.  It seems to reset if you change major settings in the contol panel or the resolution.  Additionally setting the program to run with High priority also improves things quite a lot though as SJ stated the main things seem to be distance and object view.  Note both in the Arma 3 settings and the ingame "view distance settings" (showing my ignorance not sure how they correlate).  The one other thing that I switched off which made a difference was Gsync which i had not really looked at before, but I believe it has something to do with vsync.

Cheers  - I now may be able to fly a chopper in MP - well at least try without killing all and sundry.!!!!!  though at my level that meay be asking too much !!!

+ New Topic + Post Reply