3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

desktop build

16 posts in this topic
Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:11 am     Super secret spam barrier

This is my build and i still suffer. I really do think that my CPU is the bottleneck. What do you guys think?

Specs

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:16 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Weapons Operator (1)
burbonizer wrote:
This is my build and i still suffer. I really do think that my CPU is the bottleneck. What do you guys think?

Specs

Out of curiosity what are you averaging frame-wise and on what settings? your rig is fairly similar to mine bar the graphics card, I'm still on a 960.

On ops I've taken to dropping most things down to "very high" or "high", knocking most of the post processing on the head and having my view distance at around 3k, tend to average anywhere between 20-40 fps depending on the op/how much is going on.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:31 am     Super secret spam barrier

To be honest with you i do try and run everything on ultra, just becuase i want it to look good. But i get 60 fps when at a base and 45fps when moving along roads, but when i get in to towns i do tend to range between 32 and 20 fps.

I ran a test a while ago on a server when i would log in and not move, take a fps reading then drop all the settings down a level then repeat. I went from ultra to low and noticed only a 4 fps increase.

I get rendering issues with trees which i have told are LOD issues so i should ignore them.

I just hope (wish) that when Arma 4 is released, they seriously update the engine. Its wrong that people have such poor FPS when Battlefied 4 and games like that people are getting 60+.

Dont get me wrong, i love the game and the FPS issue will not kill it for me, but when i am having a bad FPS night it does put a downer on it. Friday night on the public server, we were running Cheranus and my frames were terrible. Yet when we are on Takistan or Panthera and getting 60fps and the game is sweet.

If i were you i would invest in the i7. I have seen much more promising results from the CPU rather than the GPU.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:24 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Weapons Operator (1)
burbonizer wrote:
If i were you i would invest in the i7. I have seen much more promising results from the CPU rather than the GPU.

Im actually fairly happy with my performance at the moment, even if it isn't 60fps.

Stuff is always bound to get worse when you're in built up areas because the engine has to work harder to draw/work out everything that's going on.

Whilst I'd love to have incredible performance from Arma, I can to an extent understand why you don't get battlefield levels of graphic fidelity and fps, because Arma is working a lot harder under the Bonet on things like ballistics and Ai for example.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Mission Designer (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (3)
RIght a beeffier CPU for arma is always better problem here is as follows.

Arma doesnt like multi-threading, examplary check your own system it'll problably be one maxxed out core and the rest will be 0-20% load.
Why it does this is, game engine related and thus, beyond me, maybe someone with more indept knowledge can explain.

So a beefier CPU would mean single core performance has to increase. So that means we either have to overclock the bastards till they burn.
Or CPU's have to be developed further that the instructions per second increases (unsure if this is the correct point of performance for single core).

And what is the big difference between an i5 and an i7? Right 2-4 more cores.
Are they gonna be used efficiently? NO. Is it worth the investment? Unless "workstation"(i.e. rendering, editing etc.), NO.

Performance issue you see is ArmA 3 running with approximately 27GB of mods.
Equals to having almost 2 instances of "modded" Arma 2 running, and remember how horrible the performance there was?

(Some of this is semi out of proportion and if horribly wrong please correct me!)

Final advise would have been when buying that PC was get a K version is your confident on overclocking that is currently the only way to improve your performance.
You can still do this by playing with BCLK ratio's though be very, very carefull with that since it might fry.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:17 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Ribbon Team (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
actually, I think i5 and i7 are basically the same off the production line but are grated after benchmarking. one consequence is that for gaming i5 are as good as i7, and considerably cheaper.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... /chip.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... aming.html

+ New Topic + Post Reply