Recruitment Manager
Game Admin
Site Admin
Advanced Trainer
Operations Design Team
Modder
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Training Team (1) Retired (1)
Frag of the match (1) Zeus Operations (3) Mission Designer (4)
Leadership (2) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Highly recommended for flying, I have had my TrackIR for a number of years now and it was well worth the investment. I don't think a VR headset would be worth my while for flying, as i would either pour coffee down myself or set fire to myself lighting a cig :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:42 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
Trackir is good if you're going to get the use out of it. It supports only a small amount of games that I personally play but I've seen quite a few indie devs wanting to support it in their simulators and games.

I've seen VR been pretty good lately. Lots of content coming to support it, but I can't really see myself using it to play Arma when the trackir does the job perfectly well. I honestly can't play Arma or dayz now without my trackir on. It feels much more natural to look around with your head than it ever will with keyboard and mouse.

The only cons of trackir is the price tag and the bad quality design of the track clip pro. Mines broke in like 2 places and taped to hell. It still works though so it is durable in that sense.

I'd definitely pick one up for gameplay value it really made Arma more enjoyable in both infantry and flight roles.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (4)
I use trackhat clip+ i reckon for the price it is well worth giving it a go, I have had no issues at all, 1/3 of the price of trackir and a lot stronger too

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:28 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Donator (1) Zeus Operations (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1) Operation Medal (3)
I use something called EDTracker. It doesn't need a camera like TrackIR, and uses accelerometers etc to work out your head position. You need to run OpenTrack with it, but it's virtually no impact, and is very customisable. Mine needs a wire connected to the PC (very light, honestly not noticeable) but I believe they are developing a wireless version. Works in game in the same was as TrackIR.

Have a look at it, it's like £40 and I've not had any problems with it. I'd definitely recommend it as a budget choice if you don't feel an urge to buy big brand.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:40 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Donator (1) Kodak Commander (1)
Operation Medal (1) Combat Medic (1)
Like lifetap said, you need a constant fps of 90 or Higher for vr. It's also reported that you get motionsicness if you move your Charakter with your Keyboard. Thats why you normally "teleport" in vr and just move for 3m^2.
I'd realy like to see it work but it doesnt for now (at least for arma).

I think the best solution for now is trackir (or the third Party stuff). I Have it for about 4 years now and I dont want to play without it. (Actually i try to look around in YouTube Videos. Maybe i should play less).

Just keep in mind that you need a relatively dark room or trackir will try to snap your characters neck.

I think it is a must have for every pilot, because you can always look at your lz/target. But it is still usefull as an infantrist. You can still look around while bandaging or just take a Quick look around while still having control over your weapon

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:54 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
Bock wrote:
Like lifetap said, you need a constant fps of 90 or Higher for vr. It's also reported that you get motionsicness if you move your Charakter with your Keyboard. Thats why you normally "teleport" in vr and just move for 3m^2.
I'd realy like to see it work but it doesnt for now (at least for arma).

I think the best solution for now is trackir (or the third Party stuff). I Have it for about 4 years now and I dont want to play without it. (Actually i try to look around in YouTube Videos. Maybe i should play less).

Just keep in mind that you need a relatively dark room or trackir will try to snap your characters neck.

I think it is a must have for every pilot, because you can always look at your lz/target. But it is still usefull as an infantrist. You can still look around while bandaging or just take a Quick look around while still having control over your weapon

Have you tried changing the light sensitivity setting in the trackir program? I used to have problem with that when the blinds flickered with sun light but if you turn it up to 225ish I never have that problem anymore.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Donator (1) Kodak Commander (1)
Operation Medal (1) Combat Medic (1)
yeah, that should help. i dont realy have a problem because i have good curtains. but as long as you dont have a big lightsource behind you, you should be alright (i can only speak for the reflector, but the trackclip should be better).

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:44 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Site Admin
Server Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
just bought a trackir...
*happy*

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:49 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Keep us apprised how you get on with it :)

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:10 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Also - make sure you set it up with a good profile - either your own or downloaded.

The one I use dispenses with zoom and roll axis, and has a slight dead spot around the centre which helps keep your head lined up with your sights unless you do actually want to break from them and look around.

I use a different for flying.

+ New Topic + Post Reply