3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
7 posts in this topic
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:09 am     Super secret spam barrier

RAF Activity

So my office has just been buzzed by a Chinook, (slight hyperbole, it wasn't particularly low, but low enough that the sexy twin rotor noise we all know and love caught my attention).

So, other than organised fly-pasts/displays i don't really recall ever seeing a military aircraft over Greater Manchester. My first thought was RIAT, but it was heading the wrong way (North East over Tameside), which would suggest that it came either from or over Manchester Airport. But I would have thought that wasn't really a regular occurrence, so can any of our RAF enthusiansts shed any light because I'm curious what's going on? :D

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:27 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ah our man on the inside :D, thanks man. Just noticed that Riat was last weekend, I thought it was this weekend so could have been on it's way back to base.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:29 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
I'm sure Shogun has the right answer, but it's also the Farnborough show on at the moment.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 am     Super secret spam barrier

All the Chinooks live at Odiham in Hampshire.

7Sqn Will regularly pop over to Credenhill, Hereford and the other Sqns will regularly go to Brize Norton in Oxfordshire but yeah, it's pretty rare to see them that far north unless something is going on such as an exercise.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:36 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Its one of those weird 4th wall breaking moments where you think, "Who called for pick-up?"

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:04 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1)
Operation Medal (4)
I used to work in Redditch near Birmingham, about two years ago, came out of work for lunch and saw high up in the air (and it was pretty high, several thousand feet) 3 Chinooks flying in a column. Heading towards bham, no idea why, and I'm not aware of a base in the area!

TLS_Cud

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier

NullJeager wrote:
Can't be better than when Libya started kicking off and 4 Apaches flew over Liverpool going South.  They were going to kick some arse.
Guess the army wanted to acclimatise their pilots to a desolate wasteland before they hit the middle east proper :D

+ New Topic + Post Reply