+ New Topic + Post Reply

New graphics card - quick question

39 posts in this topic
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Apollo hop on TS I'll show you a good deal where I got mine

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:32 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
If there's a website link throw it in here bud I've been looking into an upgrade too

That one lad from Essex.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:46 am     Super secret spam barrier

Sitting here with my old GTX 680 which has served me well throughout the years, also on an i7 4770k at 4.2GHz and as others have said above the CPU is the most important thing when it comes to running Arma, always has been. Game runs great with anywhere from 45-55 FPS throughout on high-very high settings but of course Arma being Arma, I usually have to restart after a while otherwise my frames are shot to pieces. 

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:45 pm     Super secret spam barrier

It's a limit to DX11 and the engine. Extra cores are not used to their full potential, mostly sitting at 30-35%. That's what I was referring to regards to core count not being that effective. It's the strength of the first core and its clock speed that makes all the difference rather than loads of cores at a lower clock.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:13 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Dwayne, those settings are legacy developer settings. I.e for testing the game on different hardware. All of the parameters are auto configured on launch, you're just slowing your launcher down by manually telling it what it wants to do anyway :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:35 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I've not seen a difference when playing with them settings and now I know why. Cheers Apollo

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Dwayne wrote:
Serjames wrote:
Dwayne, those settings are legacy developer settings. I.e for testing the game on different hardware. All of the parameters are auto configured on launch, you're just slowing your launcher down by manually telling it what it wants to do anyway :-)

According to the net you can use them to manually boost arma's usage of said things? So they've deceived me!? 

No because of the limits of the engine and directX as I said earlier.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Dwayne wrote:
Serjames wrote:

According to the net you can use them to manually boost arma's usage of said things? So they've deceived me!? 

It's just one of those internet rumours thing... put it on a website and it must be true.. right ? :-)

Sj

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:22 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
@Apollo an i5 with 970 will be fine.  You'd probably not see much benefit from an 980

Remember to look at the date of "tweaks" on the net.  A lot are now legacy only, as the A3 game engine has changed a lot over the past few years.

There are two main reasons why A3 does not improve in fps with extra cores.  Firstly the main engine is largely single threaded, meaning that it has been written to only run on a single core.  Windows will move it around from core to core, but it'll only be running on a single core at any one time.  The other is due to DX.  All versions of DX prior to 12, can only communicate with the GPU from a single thread, which runs on a single core. So its a major bottleneck. 

Processor frequency is only a good comparative measure of performance when comparing very similar processors.  Just because one processor runs at a slower freqency than another from a different family, does not mean its slower.  Caches and other processor logic (e.g. branch prediction) play a huge part in the speed of a application. 

+ New Topic + Post Reply