+ New Topic + Post Reply
39 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:54 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1)
Operation Medal (4)

New graphics card - quick question

Hi chaps,

Just thought I'd pose a quick one and see what people think. Am looking at getting a new graphics card, was thinking of splashing out on a GTX 980 TI.
I found one for 565!

Parker reminded me that the new Nvidia cards could well be coming out during the spring, now it's not likely that I could afford one of the new ones, but do you reckon it's worth waiting to see? Could the price of the 980's come down much over the next 2/3 months?

Cheers

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
In my past experience, the prices of previous generations drop a bit in the months following a new generation release... but frequently the 1-2 cards at the top of the previous generation remain almost static in price. Using the additional nVidia rule of thumb that the (x)(yy) card is roughly equal to the (x+1)(yy-10) card in terms of raw performance but not price, it may be worth waiting to see if the 1070 (or whatever it'll be called) is enticing providing it's in the initial launch portfolio.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:13 am     Super secret spam barrier

Gpuboss.com is quite a handy tool for comparing cards, if I remember right it takes avg cost into account and can be used to rate a card on performance/£

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
For 90% if games. A 970 or 980 is more than good enough. If you're feeling ambitious 2 970's in SLI will outperform a 980ti in most applications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:10 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Can I jump on this thread too?

I'm looking at getting a GTX970 to replace an HD5850 1GB.
Other specs: i5-2500 at 3.3GHz (no intention to overclock), 8GB ram, Asus P8Z68-V mobo, 1xSSD, 2xHDD

I have a 500W psu with 2 x 6 pin connectors for the GPU card.
Is that enough power to run this card (specs say 450W needed, but in reality)? I know it's nice to have an overhead but I want to know if I can avoid spending on more than just the card and if 500W will do for now. Or out of the question?
If I need more power make a model recommendation that won't scare my bank manager please.

Some manufacturers GTX970's say they need 2 x 6pin power connectors and others mention 8pin connectors (which I don't have). Thoughts? 

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:17 pm     Super secret spam barrier

My asus strix 970 is 2 x 6 pin, either way you can pick up pretty inexpensive adaptors for a couple of quid. Maplin are surprisingly good for that kind of thing.

As for a psu, if you want some extra breathing room pc world are selling corsair cx600 for £50, there's a modular version that's a little more expensive too

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:21 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Thanks <D. How loud are the fans on these beasts? Does it vary much between manufacturers?
Do you recommend the Asus now that you have one?

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:37 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Other than my recent driver problem I've not had any issues, and I can definitely feel the extra horsepower over my old R9 270x. I game with headphones so I don't really notice fan noise to be honest. The default profile keeps the temp at around 60c under load with semi demanding games, noticed the fans working a little harder with the division and crysis 3 but nothing too crazy.

When I have noticed the fans it's more of hum than them screaming at you if that makes any sense. It seems really well put together

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Some of the 970s actually have fan-off capability now, so under low loads they just stop the fans and passively radiate. Check the specific cards to see if they do it.

Additionally, standard warning about Arma needing CPU rather than GPU, and probably not getting many more frames.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:46 pm     Super secret spam barrier

the frames you do get will be so much prettier though!

ImageImage

+ New Topic + Post Reply