3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

German Army Guns

22 posts in this topic
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:22 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Serjames wrote:
M60 was not a good gun in practise. High rate of fire meant overheated barrels and lots of Spent Ammo that has to be replaced. Changing Barrels was impossible without a special asbestos glove (when they remembered to ship with the weapon) and to top off the Design genius, the front sight is attached to the barrel so when Clintus did finally wrestle his red hot barrel out the receiver and replace it with a shiny new one... His gun was completely out of zero...

I love the M60 - as it was my childhood poster MG... 

But it's a shiite MG...

The newly delivered Danish modified E6 version looks to have improved on many of these design hiccups though

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-da ... 529e46421c

Little known fact, the M60D is in service with the RAF on the chinook. The yanks replaced the M60 on their chinooks ages ago but, much to RAF armourers disdain, it remains in service.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:57 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Mefirst wrote:
Aaaaaaaannnnnd new problems ahead.

One of the new standard machine guns, the MG5 has the problem that it can not be mounted on vehicles because it does not fit on the german gun carriages. The costs to fix this are estimated at about 50 million €uros. This is not the only problem with the MG5. H&K already work further on the MG5 because in enviroments with a fair ammount of salt in the air (or salty water) the MG5 can easily corrode.

MG5

So another self goal for another "big project" for the Bundeswehr and H&K.

Just seen what the unit cost is. 1600 weapons, 200 million euros = 125,000 per weapon, I'm in the wrong business and I thought British defence procurement was bad.

The HK417, off the shelf it is $3-4.000, H&K charge $15,000+ a pop when supplying them to governments.

+ New Topic + Post Reply