Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)

Copper Valley - Feedback

Hello All,

I just want to suggest some feedback for the Copper Valley Mission.

From gathering other people's opinions, this map seems to be one of the best for the military experience; however, is the most time consuming. 

The map its self is good, however, the major issue it has is the objectives. I'll give an example. A small group of us were doing a mission in the centre of the map to find the radio jammer and destroy it. We had around 1 hour of combat which was really fun as it was well balanced. However, after the combat, we spent nearly 45 minutes trying to find the objective. Because of how small the objective is and how it's randomly generated, it could sometimes spawn in trees for example. This can make it time consuming and near impossible to find. 

This can be extremely annoying for people and generally, a lot of people will log off as they are here for fun, not trying to play hide and seek with a jammer. I find that the objectives themselves are boring, however, the map really enjoyable to play on, in terms of combat and the performance of it.

I suggest that we make use of other elements of this mission. For example, we could use civilians as a way to gather intel for a rough location of a jammer. This is just an example?

Without some sort of change I don't believe this mission should be in the rotation as it pushes too many players away from the server. 

What do people think?

Regards,

Jetrise.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:28 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Its important to remember/realize that we run a lot of missions on our public server. The reason for the large ammoung of missions is that we want to provide missions that dont feel or play the same way. That means that players will eventually find a map on the server that they do not like or dislike. We basically change maps every 3 days. That means that when for example Copper Valley is has had it three days, it takes 26 days until the map is back online again. Si if a players doesnt like a map, he has a fair ammount of time in which he can enjoy other maps.

I agree that the spawning mechanics of a jammer needs some checking if they spawn in very unlikely places like in the middle of a tree. However you also need to be aware that tasks need to work more or less on the server at all time. Meaning there are usually tasks you can do with a few players and some tasks where you need more players. Searching a relatively large urban area with only 6-8 people is obviously time consuming and eventually boring, but there are usually things you can do on our missions that work better with smaller ammount of players.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:42 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I think you completely missed the point of his post.

I agree that maybe the jammer spawn radius could be brought down a bit. Last time I played that map there was a whole troop plus a few whiskeys looking for it. Took a long time.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Good feedback and MeFirsts post was on point Robbie, Following tasks or Objectives doesn't have to be the Main focus all the time, but on the other hand absolutely granted the Spawn radii could be tightened - and for a sense of achievement if it was the last one.. very annoying to not find it.. So I get both points. 

Actually I feel the pain - played today to find out for myself and did spend a few minutes looking... even in open fields was a bugger to spot 

Ultimately it's the mission makers call - I don't think it's been raised as an issue before so lets give Apollo a chance to review and respond.

:-)

SJ

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:34 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Combat Medic (1)
Mefirst wrote:
Its important to remember/realize that we run a lot of missions on our public server. The reason for the large ammoung of missions is that we want to provide missions that dont feel or play the same way. That means that players will eventually find a map on the server that they do not like or dislike. We basically change maps every 3 days. That means that when for example Copper Valley is has had it three days, it takes 26 days until the map is back online again. Si if a players doesnt like a map, he has a fair ammount of time in which he can enjoy other maps.

I agree that the spawning mechanics of a jammer needs some checking if they spawn in very unlikely places like in the middle of a tree. However you also need to be aware that tasks need to work more or less on the server at all time. Meaning there are usually tasks you can do with a few players and some tasks where you need more players. Searching a relatively large urban area with only 6-8 people is obviously time consuming and eventually boring, but there are usually things you can do on our missions that work better with smaller ammount of players.

I highly disagree. What you said in the first paragraph is based on the idea that all the other missions in the rotation are enjoyable. Many of the missions to players are not enjoyable, be it because of how long they've been in rotation, or how unplayable it may be. 

Again, I disagree with the second paragraph. You say there are usually tasks that can/cannot be done with a small amount of people. Not true. This is because the spawn in randomised. Thus, if it spawns in a tree, even with two full sections, it could take ages to find. So regardless of how many you have, it can still be extremely time consuming to find.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Lets not let the thread get heated please. Feedback given, duly received and we await the mission makers response.

Thanks

SJ

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Combat Medic (1)
Wouldn't say at all that it was heated. Just showing that a disagree in a polite way. 

However, I will wait for Apollo's response.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper....once." - Murphys Law

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Everyone is free to agree/disagree.

The points I said are also not necessary my personal opinion, but it is the line we try to follow with the missions on the public server so far. Terms like "enjoyable" are very subjective and people enjoy or do not enjoy different things. There are certain missions on the server that I dont personally like, but there are other people who do like them. The public server has to appeal to a very wide audience and I personally feel that it does not need to do everything they way I would like to have it.

However this thread is about copper valley and not about what people "may" enjoy or do not enjoy.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:25 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Combat Medic (1)
I agree, Each mission should have variable objectives suited for different amounts of players. And correct, enjoyable is very subjective, but from the handful of opinions I got, this people didn't seem to think this way. 

"Any ship can be a minesweeper....once." - Murphys Law

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
As a simple tweak to the existing mission, have the jammer poles create a quiet beeping that's audible within 100m or so. Still requires a search and dynamic planning, but reduces the chance of 40mins running in circles.

+ New Topic + Post Reply