3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
42 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:22 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)

Steel Division: Normandy 44

I never got into Wargame, but maybe I will get into the next game of the devs. It's called Steel Division: Normandy 44 and it is published by Paradox Interactive.

http://www.steeldivisiongame.com

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:39 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Heard about that, since I am really into WW2 and generally early 20th century stuff, I will buy this even though WG:RD never really hit it for me, knowing Paradox, probably will have lots of unique units and nations.
Name Normandy '44 though..Could limit a lot of things, especially if they are actually going for Normandy only, because then we will be fighting in 2 cities and 15,000 hedgerows.
All we can do now is hope.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1)
Operation Medal (4)
Some more info and some gameplay pics on the paradox website:

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/steel-division-normandy-44

"...take control over legendary military divisions from six different countries, such as the American 101st Airborne, the German armored 21st Panzer or the 3rd Canadian Division, during the invasion of Normandy in 1944."

TLS_Cud

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:33 am     Super secret spam barrier

Basically my strategy for this game:
US: Spam artillery, fighter-bombers, and use strategic bombers in tactical roles thereby killing a 4 star general.
Germany: Spam MGs and AT
UK: Spam Rifle squads
Canada: uh...spam rifle squads I guess? 
USSR (If available): Spam everything

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:48 am     Super secret spam barrier

Speaking of Naval support, I wonder what the Germans would have to counter that, because naval fire from light cruisers could reach as far 20km inland, while battleships heavy guns could reach as far inland as 34km. Also, as for naval combat, would the Germans have a fair playing field with a chance to contest the waters or will the Allies automatically have naval superiority?
A single Axis nation is understandable, and the Germans could have a wide variety of infantry and tanks to field, all the way from Ostruppen and Volksgrenadiers in static battalions, to Panzergrenadiers and normal infantry. Here we can also be thankful the Germans made lots of tanks instead of just improving their current one, this could give us a very wide variety of German tanks. Also lots of equipment could be taken from the enemy, such as Russian 76mm Zis guns and as you mentioned captured French B1 BIS tanks.

Hey, maybe we can even strafe Rommel in a Spitfire.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Historically they had nothing left to counter naval forces. Otherwise a invasion by sea, would have been a bit (more) problematic. By the time of the D-Day Landings, the Kriegsmarine was already more or less on it's last legs. They also pretty much shifted their focus to submarines in early 1943. A lot of the submarines (the ones that were left, were also undergoing maintenance and upgrading at the time. Beside that the allied forces had absolute air superiority over the canal. So even trying something with ships that simply did not exist, would have been suicide.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Benzy wrote:
In addition it was stated that the game timeline begins a reasonable deal after the initial landings which will not be depicted meaning that Naval Combat is not going to be in the game expect for fire support missions.

It depends what they mean by "a reasonable deal after", for example, the HMS Belfast fired it's last shot in anger on the 6th of July, a month to the day after the initial invasion. Battles such as Cherbourg, Caen, etc all were either in July or lasted way into July from June.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Also important to remember the coastal batteries. Which whilst materially inconsequential- had great psychological effect. Certainly prevented us from trying to land at Calais.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Serjames wrote:
Also important to remember the coastal batteries. Which whilst materially inconsequential- had great psychological effect. Certainly prevented us from trying to land at Calais.
But as stated by Benzy, the game is likely to take well after the landings themselves, so said coastal batteries would have already been over-run. But I still wouldn't go as far as saying the coastal batteries materially inconsequential.

Last edited by WarrenSkip on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Mefirst wrote:
Historically they had nothing left to counter naval forces. Otherwise a invasion by sea, would have been a bit (more) problematic. By the time of the D-Day Landings, the Kriegsmarine was already more or less on it's last legs. They also pretty much shifted their focus to submarines in early 1943. A lot of the submarines (the ones that were left, were also undergoing maintenance and upgrading at the time. Beside that the allied forces had absolute air superiority over the canal. So even trying something with ships that simply did not exist, would have been suicide.
Yes I quite agree with you and well aware of the historical situation, and if we're going by historical situation the Germans really didn't have anything to counter it (both counter the Allied warships or have a weapon that could counter and make useless of Allied superiority). 2 things historically I could think of.
1- German infantry have a great boost in defense, even by double or more when fighting in hedgerows. That was the case in history, where the topography experts at SHAEF thought the hedgerows in Normandy were like the ones in England, short enough for fox hunters to jump over.
2- 2nd solution: German infantry and tanks are overall, Stats wise, better than Allied troops, but this would be kind of historically inaccurate, as the troops fielded by the Germans had quite a fair bit of, well, Not-Germans and very poor troops (see Ostruppen). But let's presume SS divisions will be in play, (which could not even be in the game at all), but by then, most SS divisions, especially SS Panzer, had been severely depleted in the East and were mostly filled with new recruits, so those recruits would be comparable to your average US infantryman (but only due to the Germans possessing outstanding NCOs), so this could be out of the question as well. Presuming they put in SS divisions, only boost per man in the squad I can think of is SS Fanaticism, such as in the 12th SS, but I don't know how that would be implemented in game.

+ New Topic + Post Reply