3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
11 posts in this topic
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:34 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)

IL-2 Battle Of Stalingrad

Let's not talk about this Cliffs of Dover game, that never existed and I have no idea what you are talking about. :)

Recently Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad finally got a patch with dedicated servers and a full mission editor. So the game is pretty much back on track, looking pretty nice and gameplay wise it is a traditional IL-2 Game. So friends for flying-sims in WW2 have something nice to play. Sadly not everything is golden. Devs decided to make a crappy unlock system, where you either have to unlock everything playing a boring camapign, or buying those unlocks on steam. :|

Well here are some screenshots.

Shooting evil russians.

Enjoying the scenery.

Some friendly AI's

Damn nice clouds.

Stukas dive bombing more evil russians.

Me failing to bomb a artillery position.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
The clouds look incredible in these screenshots.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
With the original IL-2 Sturmovik we had clouds like that back in the early 2000's.
I was so spoiled with that game's flight modelling and aerial views that I still can't get excited about flying in ArmA, it's lacking in every respect in comparison (personal view of course).

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
IL-2 COD is a thing that shall not be spoken about... :)

The Unlocksystem is just a bit stupid. As said you have to reach a certain level for your pilot, that you reach by playing singleplayer. That would be fine for me, if you would have a real campaign and not just generated missions on different maps, that reflect different parts of the battle around stalingrad. Beside that is is finally a worthy IL-2 Game after the desaster that was COD.

It has been ages since (okay more like 5 years) since I played IL-2, so I am just getting back into it and so at times I still use the digital instruments. But the good thing is, you can simply disable them via a hotkey these days.

I will also a uploada small video, where I did some "okay" taxi stuff on a airfield but accidently pushed my joystick downwards at the takeoff, which did not end well. :P

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:20 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:31 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Ye it seems pretty cool to bash cliff of dover.

Anyone tried the Team Fusion mod for COD? 120 players servers are awesome, sounds and visuals improved (not to mention improved flight models).

Cliffs of dover visuals are excellent and I would say they stand up to most sims released today.  Unfortunately, whilst most of the bugs in the actual sim have been fixed and performance is excellent, the UI and menu system is frankly a joke.  If you can actually get into an aircraft its a great laugh, last night I was pilot and dogbadger was rear gunner in a Blenheim as we flew from rochester and attempted to wreck up calais.  We erm,  well...  didn't make it back...

Battle of Stalingrad seems a bit 'gamey' when I see footage.  Despite the excellent visuals is it actually a quality 'flight sim'?  Not sure I'm interested otherwise.  Oh and PLEASE tell me if you can disable the bloody HUD display thing.  Because if no then its a non purchase for me.  I'm gonna start a cliffs of dover thread and see how many of us actually have it already...  would be great to get loads of us on a huge server.

edit:  I'm just filling a gap till DCS WWII is more of a thing..  with actual WWII scenery and ground units etc.  The DCS aircraft by far outstrip anything else available in terms of fidelity simulations.  Gotta love the sounds of those mustangs racing overhead chasing down doras.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:09 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
FrostyFrench wrote:

Battle of Stalingrad seems a bit 'gamey' when I see footage.  Despite the excellent visuals is it actually a quality 'flight sim'?  Not sure I'm interested otherwise.  Oh and PLEASE tell me if you can disable the bloody HUD display thing.  Because if no then its a non purchase for me.  I'm gonna start a cliffs of dover thread and see how many of us actually have it already...  would be great to get loads of us on a huge server.

Gameplay wise it is a true IL-2 game. The game just offers a lot of help and assistance, but it is nothing that is forced to the player. Sometimes I would even say it is a bit harsher as IL-1946. Maybe I just have some nostalgia goggles on, but it feels like flying is harder because of the wind. Considering that you fly in a pretty harsh enviroment it would at least make sense.

Edit: You can of course disable the hud stuff. You can turn if off completly in the difficulty settings among with other assistance tools, or you can just disable it during a mission with a simple press of a key.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
OK well then looks like I'll make a purchase as its on offer...  How many of us have it? and how big are the servers?

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:13 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
FrostyFrench wrote:
OK well then looks like I'll make a purchase as its on offer...  How many of us have it? and how big are the servers?

No idea, they just finally introduced dedicated servers.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:09 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Yay! Finally I am not alone, broken and burning on the runway.

There is no war to end all wars.

+ New Topic + Post Reply