19 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:45 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)

Best way to monitor the long range?

Don't try to monitor more than 2 channels at once. Save your sanity.

Put one radio in your left ear, the other in your right. 

Short range Section radio with the others in your Recce unit eg 31.5
Long range to contact Command on 31 or whatever other channel they give you.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:14 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
You can also set a 3rd to both ears, but ideally just listen and not broadcast on that one.

If for some reason your recce team needs to monitor that many channels then arrange to split them up between you.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
I mean why are you listening to 4?

Reccy really only needs to be on 31 and 40 when playing public. You can set alt channels like Apollo said before. I lower my Short Range volume down and then set 31 to my left ear and 40 to my right for example. 

"Any ship can be a minesweeper....once." - Murphys Law

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:06 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Weapons Operator (1)
I'd agree with jet, as recce on the public, you only really ever need to be on 3 nets at once, at least 1 of those (your short range) should be relatively quiet.

There are many different ways to organise in terms of ears for channels, but pick one that works for you and stick with it. After a while, you'll get used to tuning an ear in and out to chatter on each channel and also instinctively be able to recognise which channel chatter is on. Don't be afraid to not listen to somebodies message on one channel if you're already receiving a message on another channel (unless they call "break break break" or another priority type message call, you can always contact them and ask them to repeat once your current transmission/conversation has concluded. 

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:54 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
It is always better to stick to the frequencies you are supposed to be. In terms of recce or other assets, this means you should be on #31 and your own private net, if you have one in recce etc. Lurking other channels is a bad habit and people should try to get rid of that as soon as possible. 

The problem is that everything that is +2 channels, will have a big impact on your concentration. You are more likely to miss out on important calls for you and you also increase the chance, that you will make a mistake, like sending something to the wrong channel etc. Another thing is that you can also make wrong assumptions, because you do not have the entire picture. 

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:33 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
I'd agree with some of that, Mefirst...but not all. Eavesdropping can provide better situational awareness, error catching, and reaction times if used appropriately.

As a Whiskey, I'd be expected to be on 40LR and maybe 40.1SR. I typically eavesdrop 31LR in my right ear so I can hear potential threats and tasking in advance and start prepping. There are times when I've heard someone make a CAS request of FAC, but then heard FAC switching the friendly and enemy position (true story), or garbling the original meaning of a transmission.

As long as you manage your own capabilities and fulfill your tasking, there's nothing inherently wrong with eavesdropping.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Nick Seafort wrote:
As a Whiskey, I'd be expected to be on 40LR and maybe 40.1SR. I typically eavesdrop 31LR in my right ear so I can hear potential threats and tasking in advance and start prepping. There are times when I've heard someone make a CAS request of FAC, but then heard FAC switching the friendly and enemy position (true story), or garbling the original meaning of a transmission.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with that. This is exactly what I mean with not having the full picture and coming to your own conclusions which can be pretty wrong. There is obviously no real way to prevent people from ghosting on those channels, but this falls under etiquette for me. It also kind of shows a lack of respect for the people that are (supposed) to be on this net. To me this feels like not having confidence on the capabilities of the people on that net and putting myself over them. Mistakes can always happen, but that is no excuse for me to break communication discipline. If we all do that, we could just stop using TFAR. 

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Kodak Commander (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Weapons Operator (1)
Mefirst wrote:
Nick Seafort wrote:

Sorry, but I completely disagree with that. This is exactly what I mean with not having the full picture and coming to your own conclusions which can be pretty wrong. There is obviously no real way to prevent people from ghosting on those channels, but this falls under etiquette for me. It also kind of shows a lack of respect for the people that are (supposed) to be on this net. To me this feels like not having confidence on the capabilities of the people on that net and putting myself over them. Mistakes can always happen, but that is no excuse for me to break communication discipline. If we all do that, we could just stop using TFAR. 

Surely listening into command net as a whisky, for example, has the opposite effect, in terms of helping you to broaden your understanding of the tactical situation? As long as you dont interfere on that channel, I think its perfectly reasonable to do.

Its the same as FTL's being on 31 as well as Section Commanders, It allows you to overhear whats going on in command channels, which allows you to prepare for orders you may soon receive, Again, as long as you execute appropriate discipline and don't interfere or act preemptively/assumptively then i think its fine. I cant see how its shows a lack of respect, just listening in, if anything it shows to me that somebody is trying to make sure they're fully aware of whats going on. 

I think its very very important to note, that people should not transmit on channels that are not their "native" channel so to speak, because that can lead to questioning of orders/confusing of communications etc. Also, listening into these other channels, should only be done by individuals who are in an FTL or above role essentially. So for example, a GMPG gunner, shouldn't be listening into 31. 

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Media Man (1) Donator (1)
Mission Designer (3) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Operation Medal (4)
The only people listening to infantry communications should be infantry.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
I see where everyone is coming from on both sides of the argument.

However, ultimately, I agree with what Bluemaxx just said, the only people who should be on 31 is Command & Infantry. There is no need for a pilot to be on 31 at all! The entire point of a Forward Air Controller is to filter all the information from 31 and pass only relevant information to pilots.

This means that you will be more concentrated on your objective. And it’s only logical to say that the more information we input, the longer it will take to process. Listening to non-standard communication channels will overall reduce effectiveness in other areas.

Although, I think we should stay on topic as this is related to Public rather than private ops.

In response to Reccy, I listen to both 31 and 40 like stated before. This is because Reccy will often be used as a way of getting accurate CAS in. In a realistic situation, if you read the boards in-game, Reccy should be on 50. But there's no need for that. I would not advise advise you listen to anymore than two LR channels.

+ New Topic + Post Reply