Best way to monitor the long range?

19 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Weapons Operator (1)
Bluemaxx wrote:
The only people listening to infantry communications should be infantry.

Jetrise wrote:
I see where everyone is coming from on both sides of the argument.

However, ultimately, I agree with what Bluemaxx just said, the only people who should be on 31 is Command & Infantry. There is no need for a pilot to be on 31 at all! The entire point of a Forward Air Controller is to filter all the information from 31 and pass only relevant information to pilots.

This means that you will be more concentrated on your objective. And it’s only logical to say that the more information we input, the longer it will take to process. Listening to non-standard communication channels will overall reduce effectiveness in other areas.

Although, I think we should stay on topic as this is related to Public rather than private ops.

In response to Reccy, I listen to both 31 and 40 like stated before. This is because Reccy will often be used as a way of getting accurate CAS in. In a realistic situation, if you read the boards in-game, Reccy should be on 50. But there's no need for that. I would not advise advise you listen to anymore than two LR channels.

I think I'd probably agree that in the situation where you have an FAC and a whisky etc, then its definitely better for whisky to just stick to 40.

But yeah, I'd say on the public its best for Recce to be on both 31 & 40, unless there is an FAC, in which case just 31. 50 is mostly redundant on the Public yes.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
It is quite common that a infantry section has somebody like the FTL work as a on call FAC on the public. I have no problem with that, since you dont get a FAC that often on it. 

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Ribbon Team (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
What Goodson said? https://www.3commandobrigade.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4356

My head is on a swivel, I just left the WD-40 at home.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:29 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Good debate. I agree with MeFirst on this one listening in should not be encouraged. As it's a bad habit that can lead to second guessing orders or intent.

Nicks point about catching errors is valid. But is in my opinion covering up for weaknesses on the original comms and no one learns from that.

There is an argument that people can learn about the command roles by listening in. There is some truth in that. But whilst they are doing that some (!) will take it upon themselves to question orders or backseat drive. And we have streams and YouTube if you really want to study.

That's my opinion anyway

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:36 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Mefirst wrote:
Nick Seafort wrote:
As a Whiskey, I'd be expected to be on 40LR and maybe 40.1SR. I typically eavesdrop 31LR in my right ear so I can hear potential threats and tasking in advance and start prepping. There are times when I've heard someone make a CAS request of FAC, but then heard FAC switching the friendly and enemy position (true story), or garbling the original meaning of a transmission.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with that. This is exactly what I mean with not having the full picture and coming to your own conclusions which can be pretty wrong. There is obviously no real way to prevent people from ghosting on those channels, but this falls under etiquette for me. It also kind of shows a lack of respect for the people that are (supposed) to be on this net. To me this feels like not having confidence on the capabilities of the people on that net and putting myself over them. Mistakes can always happen, but that is no excuse for me to break communication discipline. If we all do that, we could just stop using TFAR. 

I have to agree with Mefirst here.

It's all well and good hearing a request to the commander for a task, then prepping for it, flying over and awaiting for the request to come from command....BUT, command wanted you to do something else (eg, emergency strike on a AT/AA/MG position) and you are now not there. The delay in you having to return to position could cost the operation and (albeit only digital) lives.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Kodak Commander (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Weapons Operator (1)
Robbie wrote:
Mefirst wrote:
Nick Seafort wrote:
As a Whiskey, I'd be expected to be on 40LR and maybe 40.1SR. I typically eavesdrop 31LR in my right ear so I can hear potential threats and tasking in advance and start prepping. There are times when I've heard someone make a CAS request of FAC, but then heard FAC switching the friendly and enemy position (true story), or garbling the original meaning of a transmission.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with that. This is exactly what I mean with not having the full picture and coming to your own conclusions which can be pretty wrong. There is obviously no real way to prevent people from ghosting on those channels, but this falls under etiquette for me. It also kind of shows a lack of respect for the people that are (supposed) to be on this net. To me this feels like not having confidence on the capabilities of the people on that net and putting myself over them. Mistakes can always happen, but that is no excuse for me to break communication discipline. If we all do that, we could just stop using TFAR. 

I have to agree with Mefirst here.

It's all well and good hearing a request to the commander for a task, then prepping for it, flying over and awaiting for the request to come from command....BUT, command wanted you to do something else (eg, emergency strike on a AT/AA/MG position) and you are now not there. The delay in you having to return to position could cost the operation and (albeit only digital) lives.

I don't think that Nick is suggesting that you'd act on something you overhear, without being ordered to do so, there is a difference between being prepared for something and actually doing it. 

I think I perhaps agree with the point that perhaps ghosting on other channels shouldn't be encouraged though, because it leads to the temptation for some to back seat lead/speak up on a net they shouldn't be on, or do stuff they've overheard before they've been told like you suggest.

Essentially in theory, if done properly, it shouldn't be an issue, but its a thing that can lead to confusion/misunderstanding/annoyance etc in practise. 

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier

If you did it in the real world, you'd be marching around Colchester at double time for a couple of months.  

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:52 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Media Man (1) Donator (1)
Mission Designer (3) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Operation Medal (4)
Quote:
I don't think that Nick is suggesting that you'd act on something you overhear, without being ordered to do so, there is a difference between being prepared for something and actually doing it. 

Remembers fondly the time Nick did just that and Clyde (the FAC instructor), quite rightly ripped him a new arsehole.

My YouTube Channel
All my content is available with the CC BY 4.0 license.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
...pardon? Don't remember Clyde ever getting in a scuffle with me :/

+ New Topic + Post Reply