1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)

3 Commando Brigade Needs You !

Just a quick reminder that we've been steadily working to create our own 3CB pack of Skins, weapons and Vehicles for us to use as a Unit.

We have a dedicated team of guys who are spending significant time researching, testing, coding and Texturing stuff to add more to our game.

See our excellent new skins as a great example

BUT there is so much more we could be doing !

So if you have any latent Art College skills, coding experience i.e. with Configs. Or Modelling or Texturing abilities please let us know here.

We're just scratching the surface of what we could do, but need more people and skillz to really open our options.

Apply Below, thanks

Lt. Serjames

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:21 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Mission Designer (1)
If only I was so boss to be able to texture and make maps (which I still aspire to do) but currently I can do basic setups for config like if you need to change weapons on a character and save it.

(not entirely good at making it from scratch, but I can read the code enough to edit someone else's config to change it around, if you need an example my first post on arma 2 thread mods with the units from a campaign I converted over to use vanilla weapons from P'85)

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
I believe Serjames was looking for people to "apply", putting forward what skills they have or are prepared to learn (largely under their own initiative), so that we could get them involved with projects we already have in hand or have planned to do. I'm coordinating the work that is done, making sure it's up to a certain quality level and fitting in with our immediate priorities.

All of us currently working on 3CB mods are self-taught. We help each other of course, but you do need a certain level of self determination to learn and contribute.

In order to avoid IP issues we can only take on full members of 3CB, rather than recruits. Interested recruits can in the meantime, get up to date on how to contribute when they become marines by watching youtube videos and getting in some practise with their chosen skills.

Currently we need:
- 3D modellers, able to make models in ArmA Object Builder / Oxygen (or imported from 3DSMax / Blender)
- Texture artists (p3d files, layers)
- Coders to work with texture artists, getting model in game - understanding of rvmats, configs, ffv, sling loading

3D modelling is probably the most complex but also most desirable. Background information

Get started by downloading the ArmA 3 Tools from Steam and also Mikero's tools from the Internet.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Gav wrote:
Okay, all fine with that. Are you saying that all contributions by full members are copyrighted to 3CB and not the individual? 

Yes, exactly that.

Jamie will probably chime in with something about open license bla bla bla's, but basically because we do everything as a group effort. Any mod that a 3CB member works on while part of our community is copyrighted to 3CB, but with named credits in the readme and PR. If a member wants to work on releasing a mod outside of this arrangement they need written agreement from 3CB and it wouldn't then be an official 3CB mod. By doing this we ensure that the source files and ability to modify/improve the mod in the future rests with the 3CB group, quality and standardisation are brought to a certain level, and everyone involved gets fair credit, with good PR for 3CB.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:53 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Howl wrote:
Oh ok. I can 3D model and texture. Dunno how to use oxygen, but if I could give the models to someone who knew how to, I think it could work.

Howl, have a chat with perhaps Andy, Evrik or Lifetap. I think they might be able to point you in the right direction for importing models from Blender (I think that's what you use) directly into ArmA's model editor (I'll call it Oxygen, even though that name has been dropped). Even I have been able to fire up Oxygen and used it to look at models and modify named points, and I know NOTHING about this stuff, so you wouldn't have any problem I'm sure. Lifetap in particular seems to know an awful lot about the mechanics of model creation in the ArmA series.

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:52 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
No you say it yourself if you are working on one of our mods that we are editing or creating then it belongs to 3CB if you want to go it alone like Alexander then go for it.  It's mainly anything that we work on together I think just so no one runs off with all of the datat to another group. :)

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:16 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
From what I understood from Apollo's post Howl, is that any mod created using the '3CB' moniker will need to be pre-approved prior to its release - which I presume is to maintain the required level of quality and consistency.

As you said, no one signed any agreements - and nor should we (and lets be honest, even if you did - the likelihood of 3CB perusing the matter legally over copyright infringement is extremely unlikely). Additionally, I presume none of what we have created is actually registered to a separate 3CB entity. From what I've understood of the wider Arma modding community so far; it essentially comes down to an honor and trust system - ie. you don't f*ck over the community which supports you.

There's nothing stopping - lets say you and I - from making 'Howl & Arka's US Ranger Kit' tomorrow, if we were to sort the configs and skins ourselves. However if it were '3CB's US Ranger Kit' then I presume it's a different story, as we need to ensure it's up to the 3CB 'standards'.

If I'm wrong however, please correct me Apollo.

Nevertheless, we're a little OT here and perhaps this is more suitable for PM or TS. 

Ultimatly the more contributors the better. And if anyone is keen to work on texturing also (my time has gotten fairly limited these days, so help is always appreciated) - feel free to drop me a PM or poke on TS, I'll be more than happy to assist where I can. :D

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:55 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
To add some clarity to this - the point of giving the IP rights to 3CB is so that if you or someone working on the 3CB modset decides to leave 3CB (for whatever reason) then we can carry on using your assets without having to worry about asking for permissions.

For example:
1. You contribute a tank model to the 3CB mod workshop.
2. The group works on the model to get it into the game and fully functional as part of our 3CB modset.
3. You leave 3CB to pursue a career in modelling.
4. We can feel safe in that we are allowed to carry on improving/updating/releasing your model as part of our modset without having to bother you about permissions (and so that we don't feel like we're going behind your back or anything).

If you've created an amazing model that you think may be worth selling, then just don't contribute it.

Unless I've got this wrong, I'm pretty sure this is the jist of what Apollo was getting at ;)

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:08 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
I must admit to being quite amused by the froth and bubble generated by the amateur legal experts.
Anyway, don't get your knickers in such a twist. There's no contracts here, no legal law suits pending, no solicitors involved, no signed in blood special handshakes. Well ok, there may be blood spilled, but no handshakes.

Look a smiley --->  ;-)

It's about trying to lay out some simple common-sense ground rules which prevent confusion and discord in the future. 

If you want to work on a mod that isn't going to be part of the 3CB release, it just makes sense that you declare that to the 3CB mod team before you start. That way, when you get help for it, everyone knows where they stand and the mod team coordinator can advise if there is any conflict of interest which might cause difficulties. Doing it via PM (i.e. writing) purely means that there is a clear record and no disagreement later on "I said this, no you didn't, yes I did". 

If you are invited to work on a new mod for 3CB as part of the mod team then the data generated belongs to 3CB, for exactly the reasons outlined by Goodson.
Fixing mods for other authors should be coordinated (as it has been so far). We only expect to receive due credit for the work done, or possibly some favours, but of course we don't "own" the mod afterwards.

Adjust my wording to suit what you want to hear, I'm not too bothered as long as the result is the same - that we release brilliant mods for our own and the wider community's use, 3CB becomes famous for high-quality add-ons and a top group to hang out with, all the people involved with modding enjoy the process and results, and no one walks off with our shared work claiming it as their own.

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:42 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
All your mod are belong to us.

'nuff said  ;-)

+ New Topic + Post Reply